Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Secret Life of the Mormon Missionary

Today is the first Sunday of July.  The weather in Las Vegas is getting hotter, and it's time to set goals for the coming month.  Part of my fast and goals this month relate to missionary work.  I want to do more to be a missionary.  I want to seize opportunities to introduce and explain the Gospel.  I want to relive some of the joy I experienced as a missionary...

Sundays were always the busiest.  Even if we didn't have meetings or lessons scheduled up the wazoo, we were outside on the streets or climbing seemingly endless stairs to talk to people.  Even on Fast Sundays in the middle of the summer when I was wearing just as much sweat as clothing, we were diligently outside looking for someone, anyone to accept an invitation to church.  

Our day always starts in the morning with some exercise.  Some missionaries utilize it well.  Some do too little.  Some do too much.  Either way, we prepare and begin our private study of the scriptures and words of the prophets.  During this time, throughout my mission, I came to realize how the spirit speaks to me.  I learned new concepts from verses of scripture I have read countless times.  I have received specific guidance for a friend we were teaching.  I have been taught the answers to questions I have stewed over for weeks or months.  I learned my role as a missionary...a servant.  

After an hour, we get with our respective companion and share our insights, prepare lessons for the day, and teach each other.  This time is either incredibly effective, or a colossal waste of time.  I always loved to use this time to try and understand my companion more.  It was prime time to bear testimony to each other and to become more unified.  We were unified in that we both knew what was going on, but we also sought unity in having the same purpose, goal, and plan.  I learned so much from my companions and am who I am today largely because of my relationships with them.

For me, I continued on studying Japanese.  It is a difficult language that required all my effort to learn.  I still stumble and confuse words, but I used my time in study preparing myself to be guided by the spirit in a manner that language wouldn't get in the way.  I tried to soften the communication barrier that many Japanese people saw between them and me.  I tried to make myself a more useful and helpful tool in terms of language and communication.

After that varied.  Some days we had lessons where we tried to help our new friends understand the church's doctrine and how accepting Jesus Christ as their Savior could improve their life and give them eternal life.  We would visit with members of the church to share our love for them and help them understand their responsibility to share the gospel with their friends.  We would visit those who have not been to church for a varied period of time.  We tried to help them remember the testimony they once had, but since forgot.  We tried to help them see that the church has not necessarily moved on and forgotten about them, but still stands waiting with open arms for them to come back.  In any free time, we would talk to people on the street with the firm belief that God has put them in our path for a reason, or we were put in theirs.  Some didn't see it quite like we did.  Others saw exactly the same.  My friend and, as of almost a year ago, my brother in the church, firmly believes that we were sent to each other.  The events in his life do not suggest coincidence, and our determination to talk to him eliminates the element of chance.  

I have been ignored, insulted, and yelled at.  Japan was very hospitable compared to other places in the world, but I still had doors slammed in my face, people run away from me, and had my testimony rejected.  I don't care what manner of rejection you receive as missionary, to bear sincere testimony only to have it thrown down and stepped on hurts more than any cut or bruise.  On the other hand, I have felt no greater joy than to see a light come on in someone's eyes as they find hope in the words of my testimony.  There can be no joy greater than helping a friend overcome challenge after challenge until and beyond their acceptance of Christ and the baptismal covenant.  

I fondly cherish the time I spent as a missionary, but these activities all can still be practiced without the designation of full-time missionary in some way or another.  We should still study the scriptures.  We should still share our insights with our friends.  I don't know, write a blog or something.  For those of us who apply, we should continue to study our language, and I wholeheartedly agree that teaching it to our children would be beneficial.  We needn't walk up and down the street in our downtime commanding everyone to repentance, but why not strike up conversation with those sitting around us at work or school or public transportation?  Why do we need a nametag to visit those of our friends who haven't been to church in a while?  Why do we need a nametag to feel the joy of missionary service?  

We don't!  Serve.  Nothing can bring you closer to Christ than serving.  And the best, most rewarding form of service is sharing the gospel.  Tell your friends that don't know.  Invite them to an activity!  And, for those who may not have joined us for church services before, feel free.  Our church does not claim a monopoly on happiness, but we do profess the possession of truth.  Come, and join with us.  No matter who you are, you are welcome, and you will feel something you may not recognize, but will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment