Sunday, June 29, 2014

Come, Follow Me

In the meridian of time, Jesus the Christ was born to Mary and Joseph.  He grew up and prepared for his ministry.  In preparation, he needed disciples, people to support him.  To the fishermen, the lawyer, the lowly tax man and others he said, "Come, follow me."  He was inviting them to walk with him, learn from him, and serve with him.  He promised that he would make them "fishers of men"; meaning with them he would 'catch' more people that would learn from him and follow his example.  He left a legacy in their lives that lead to Peter's outstanding missions.  His invitation led Saul to become Paul and serve impressing, successful missions.  Their lives changed because they accepted the invitation.

Jesus Christ taught people numerous lessons.  At the time, some didn't understand the intended moral because he taught in parables, or metaphors.  He fed thousands with small portions of food.  His teachings did and continue to feed countless people's souls.  During his three year ministry, he taught.  He performed miracles.  He lead.  He loved.  He sacrificed.  His example is unparalleled and unforgettable.  To each that heard his voice, saw his power, or felt his love, his message was the same as to the apostles:  "Come, follow me." 

As a missionary, I had 12 total companions in the 2 years.  I worked with a specific Japanese missionary for 3 months.  In a meeting with a member, he said something that impressed me.  He talked about all the things I have mentioned above.  He spoke of the glorious miracles and message of Christ.  He reiterated Christ message to follow him.  Then he asked, "If you heard Christ teachings, saw his miracles, and were in his presence, would you follow him?"  I thought this was a very intriguing question.  Would I?  Would you?  We all think to ourselves, "Well, the miracles were simply unquestionable!  Of course I would follow!"  And yet, somehow we forget about all those who did not.  The Pharisees and Sadducees and whole cities that rejected him?  We cannot for sure say who we would have been 2000 years ago.  It's always said that one of the most damaging questions to our future and present is "What if?".  I used to wonder what my life would have been like if I would have practiced violin more.  What if I had studied more in high school?  What if I had taken an intercollegiate water polo offer?  What if I didn't wear this shirt today?  I used to entertain this exchange when I wasn't satisfied with myself or my life.  I blamed it on myself and the choices I or others had made.  But, I know without each of these events panning out the way they did, I may not have met all of the wonderful, influential friends that I have.  I may not have gone to Japan.  I may not have experienced all that I have.  I wouldn't be the same person I am.  This is kind of a round about way to say we don't know who we would be now if history were different, and we don't really know how we would react were Christ to look us in the eye and say, "Come, follow me."

The beautiful thing is, we don't have to wonder!  One of my favorite hymns that we sing is "Come Unto Jesus."  In it, we sing of Jesus' love, his unwavering patience, and the comfort, relief, and forgiveness that we find when we find him.  But, of all, the last verse is my favorite:  "Come unto Jesus from every nation, from every isle and land of the sea [JAPAN!!!!].  Unto the high and lowly in station, ever he calls, 'Come to me.'"  He doesn't care where you come from.  He doesn't care what your skin color is.  He doesn't care what your likes and dislikes are.  He doesn't care how much money you make or how much you don't.  He doesn't care if you're living now, in the future, or if you were living 2000 years ago.  To me, to you, to everyone he beckons.  To all of us he extends the call.  We don't have to wonder, "What if?" because we can do it now.  He stands at the door knocking, waiting for us to open.  And when we open the door of our hearts to him, his call will resonate throughout:
Come, follow me.

No comments:

Post a Comment