Monday, June 2, 2014

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Often, in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, we use the word “trial”.  Too often, this is associated with some sort of test that exhibits our spiritual prowess.  We remember Abinadi refusing to deny Christ on the stake as he burned.  We remember the trials Christ went up to up to and including the atonement and his crucifixion.  We think of our less-distant forefathers, the pioneers, who trekked miles and miles across the great plains of America seeking escape from intense harassment while living in a country that boasted religious freedom.  These are certainly impressive, and some may face daunting tasks comparable to these and other known and respected stories.  But, those of us who live normal lives without that much pressure and much fewer life-and-death decisions, we may feel inadequate when these stories are told.  I, personally, feel like there’s no opportunity for such situations to arise in my life.  I wonder how I can be an example if I don’t do anything “cool”.
When we look at trials like I’ve described above, we’re looking at the circumstance.  And, to compare our circumstances with others is, for lack of a better metaphor, comparing apples and oranges.  Nobody else has the same life as you, so nobody will have the same situation you do.  However, you may have lost a family member or gotten in a car crash.  Now, nobody had the same relationship with your relative that you did, nor can they exactly understand the trauma your accident may have brought.  However, from their experience, they bring empathy into their consolation as they confidently tell you that they may not know exactly how you feel, but everything will be alright. 
What I’m getting at with this is that we can’t and shouldn't compare circumstances.  We shouldn't necessarily look up to someone because of all the hard things they may or may not have in their life.  We shouldn't feel insecure about ourselves because of a lack of excitement or excess of resistance.  The important thing about trials is the lessons learned.  There is a trial to be learned from every “trial” we face, no matter how ‘big’ or ‘small’.  When hit with a staggering blow, my first inclination is toward gratitude.  I have to find it in my to accept the problem before me as an opportunity to learn and grow before I can seek for a way out.  Otherwise, I would continue onward under the impression that I’m doing nothing wrong.  Find a way to laugh at a mistake or see the good in a situation. 
I’m going to clarify with a Chinese proverb that I learned in Japanese.  人間万事塞翁が馬(ningen banji saiou ga uma).  A man had several horses and a son.  One day, his son was riding the horse when he hit a branch or something, lost his balance, and fell off the horse.  His foot got caught in the stirrup, and was dragged by the horse for some distance, consequently breaking his leg.  Obviously, his father grieved over this accident, and I’m sure they both thought, “Why is this happening to me?!”  Well, shortly after, a war started and a recruiter came to their town looking for able-bodied men to fight in the war.  Had is son been healthy, he would have been taken, forced to fight, and probably died.  You may pull different morals from this story, but the one I learn is that there is always a “silver lining”(if I may describe a Japanese Chinese proverb using an English idiom…)
When you find the inner-workings of your task, break it down into manageable pieces, decide what needs to be done NOW, and then do it.  Focus.  Realize what is and isn’t worth worrying about.  Sometimes we get worked up over something of no significant consequence.  Take a deep breath, and move forward one step at a time. 

Christ has promised that if you but simply come unto him, he will “give you rest.”  We all have burdens.  We all are laden, or loaded, with heavy tasks.  To us specifically, Christ has promised to give us rest from what we have, and instead, take hold of a different burden; a lighter load that is much easier to bear.  We are not, and do not have to be pulling alone.  Everyone has their favorite metaphor, but for the sake of unity, I remind you all that when it seems we are walking alone, the footprints we see are not our own, but from our savior who has picked us up to carry us safely to smoother paths.  I have felt God’s loving embrace as a missionary when I knelt before him in humble prayer pleading for forgiveness and for direction.  I have seen his interference in the lives of my friends as they shouldered some of the hardest obstacles, yet came out on top.  I have learned so much in my short 21 years.  Without resistance, exercise loses its effectiveness.  Without trials, we cannot reach our full potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment