Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Tokyo Approach

This afternoon, upon returning home from church, I decided to watch a wonderful film called The Saratov Approach.  For those who haven't seen it, WATCH IT!  It's available for instant streaming on Netflix.  It's the story of 2 missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints who were kidnapped while serving in the Saratov area of Russia.  It follows the events that happened to them over the course of the 5 days they were imprisoned.  It may not have been the greatest movie ever filmed, but it truly was inspirational to watch a dramatization of not only their faith, but their families' as well.  Their faith helped them know that their God cared for them as well as their kidnappers.

I, too, spent 2 years in service as a missionary.  I was not kidnapped.  I wasn't beaten.  Nobody spat on me.  I was ridiculed for my belief in Christ.  I had doors slammed in my face.  If Japanese people swore, I'm sure they would have sworn at me.  There were some that were rather rude, however.  I got discouraged.  I wondered how I could help Japanese people if I couldn't even speak Japanese.  In a land so void of Christianity, I truly felt alone with my companion some days walking down the streets.  I felt pointless when we ended the day without any physical, or numerical proof to express our efforts of the day.
New Investigators-0
Lessons Taught-0
Lessons Taught with a Member Present-0
Referrals Received-0
Referrals Contacted-0
Too many days ended this way.  When I first got to Japan, my planner looked like this for MONTHS.  I felt helpless.  I wanted to do something but didn't know what was going on.

In the movie, the thought patterns of the missionaries is laid out very clearly.  First, they fear they will die.  Their faith kicks in and they begin to pray.  They understand that what they're going through has to be harder on their family and friends than themselves, so they pray for their families.  And, unavoidably, they pray for their kidnappers.

I was never afraid for my life, but I did follow a similar progression.  For a time, I was stuck and confused.  Then, my thoughts turned to family and friends I had left behind.  Some may have missed me.  However, I was sure that everyone was too busy to be concerned about me.  Nonetheless, I prayed for my family and friends.  But there came a time during my service that I began praying for the people around me.  I prayed for my companion.  I prayed for the people we were teaching.  I prayed for the people at church.  I prayed for the people in the city to listen to me.  When I developed that charity, my attitude and mission changed.  I began working out of my love for every person I saw.  I wanted them to know that our Heavenly Father loves them.

I wasn't the best missionary.  Not by a long shot.  But I worked hard.  I did what I could.  I know that I was able to help someone somewhere.  Even if nobody in any of my areas remembers me, even if I didn't actually help anyone, I was converted during those 2 years in Japan.  I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is God's true church on the Earth.  I love Christ's gospel, and I know it to be true.  I am so grateful for the Book of Mormon and the outstanding impact it has had in my life.  I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior.  He lives.  And, because He lives, you and I, too, can live.

No comments:

Post a Comment