Sunday, March 22, 2015

I Believe in Miracles

To witness a miracle, one must first understand what a miracle is.  A miracle can be described as something inexplicable by means of our current logical and scientific law.  Something that doesn't fit a pattern.  An occurrence that goes against what common knowledge would tell you is so.

Astronomically speaking, our existence is a miracle.  To fit into "The Goldilocks Zone"-or qualifications for a planet to sustain life-is so statistically impossible, it's unfathomable how our universe, galaxy, solar system, and earth all combined so perfectly that they just fell into place.  Noah predicted the flood that would wipe out all people except they repent.  Abraham and his wife had children beyond an age most people today would even be alive.  Moses parted the red sea, set up the serpent on the staff, and spoke with God where he was shown the expanse of God's creations.  David opposed all odds and defeated Goliath the giant Philistine.  Daniel was preserved after being thrown into a pit of lions for persistently praying to his father in heaven.  Jesus Christ was born to a virgin and lived a perfect life.  During his ministry, Jesus ruffled feathers, chastised the wicked, healed the sick, and taught the faithful.  His miracles are continually spoken of today and the Christian world points to them as a source of belief, or as a proof of his divine power.

Why, then, have miracles stopped?  Why are Christian churches preaching  their testimony of the lack of miracles?  Why are they professing their absence of revelation?  

"And the reason why he ceaseth to do miracles among the children of men is because that they dwindle in unbelief, and depart from the right way, and know not the God in whom they should trust.  Behold, I say unto you that whoso believeth in Christ, doubting nothing, whatsoever he shall ask the Father in the name of Christ it shall be granted him; and this promise is unto all, even unto the ends of the earth." (Mormon (9:20-21)

Let me tell you this, if you think miracles and revelation are no more, it's because you lack the faith.

Joseph Smith, a 14 year-old boy saw a vision of God and Jesus Christ.  He went on to translate an ancient record and establish Christ's church at about the same age I am now.  He performed miracles including healing the sick and receiving revelation.  That church, started by a young man has become a global church, talked about by many people.  The missionary force is a miracle.  I don't know any church that relies on teenagers and young adults to run its proselyting force.  On top of that, I don't know any other institution that can teach it's clients to become fluent in another language in less than 18 months.  

To those that testify that miracles are no more, I am a living witness that they still are!  It's a miracle that those around me haven't already strangled me.  I also can testify that I have and do receive revelation for myself and for those I am called to watch over.  I was guided by my savior as a missionary in Japan.  I was led to those who need the message I carried.  I was blessed to miraculously develop the ability to speak Japanese.  My service continues to manifest itself as a miracle as I find jobs because of my service and I see how much I changed because of my time and dedication.  

If you want to see more miracles, Joseph Smith gives the formula in his Lectures on Faith. 
1. You need the idea that he actually exists.
2. You need a correct idea of his character, perfections, and attributes.
3. You need a knowledge that your actions are in line with God's will (i.e. faith in yourself)

Be it the Old Testament, Christ's ministry, the Restoration of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, or our lives today, faith precedes the miracle.  Anyone who requires a miracle for conversion will require a miracle to stay converted.  But those who align their will and actions with God's will see the miracles because their faith will open their eyes and give them power to oppose the odds and ignore the "law".

No comments:

Post a Comment